Public Home > Travel > Benilux > Keukenhof

Keukenhof

In the 15th century Countess Jacqueline of Bavaria was the owner of the estate. In these grounds she hunted and in the court next to her fortress “Teylingen”, she grew herbs and vegetables for the kitchen. That is where the name Keukenhof comes from: Kitchen Garden. In 1850 the original design for the park was made by father and son Zocher, landscape architects from Haarlem. In 1949 a group of flower bulb growers and exporters came up with the idea of holding an exhibition as showcase for the flower bulb industry. The total area of the park measures 32 hectares (about 80 acres). Every year 7 million flower bulbs are planted in more than 1600 different varieties. Every year most of the grass (especially under the trees) is removed and about 7000 kilos of annual grass is sown

Slideshow | Invite
Picture 082
1
Picture 082
 
DSC 0186
2
DSC 0186
 
DSC 0187
3
DSC 0187
 
DSC 0189
4
DSC 0189
 
DSC 0190
5
DSC 0190
 
DSC 0192
6
DSC 0192
 
DSC 0193
7
DSC 0193
 
DSC 0194
8
DSC 0194
1 сomments
DSC 0195
9
DSC 0195
 
DSC 0196
10
DSC 0196
 
DSC 0197
11
DSC 0197
 
DSC 0198
12
DSC 0198
 
DSC 0199
13
DSC 0199
 
DSC 0200
14
DSC 0200
 
DSC 0201
15
DSC 0201
 
DSC 0204
16
DSC 0204
 
DSC 0205
17
DSC 0205
 
DSC 0206
18
DSC 0206
 
DSC 0207
19
DSC 0207
 
DSC 0208
20
DSC 0208
 
DSC 0209
21
DSC 0209
 
DSC 0210
22
DSC 0210
 
DSC 0211
23
DSC 0211
 
DSC 0212
24
DSC 0212
 
DSC 0213
25
DSC 0213
2 сomments
DSC 0215
26
DSC 0215
 
DSC 0216
27
DSC 0216
 
DSC 0217
28
DSC 0217
 
DSC 0218
29
DSC 0218
 
DSC 0219
30
DSC 0219
 
DSC 0220
31
DSC 0220
 
DSC 0221
32
DSC 0221
 
DSC 0222
33
DSC 0222
 
DSC 0223
34
DSC 0223
 
Advertise on Fotki
Advertise on Fotki