| || |
Cargill Superior, or just the Superior Elevator, was designed and built Buffalo architect A. E. Baxter who also designed several other grain elevators in the Buffalo area. Construction began in 1914 with section "A" and section "B" added in 1919. A final section, "C", was added in 1925 making the Superior on of the largest elevators on the Buffalo River. Cargill was a multinational grain consortium and took over operations of both the Superior and the Electric elevators sometime in the 1930s. Cargil abandoned both elevators in the mid 1960s.
Cargil-S was used as transfer elevator and didn't service an adjacent mill. The Superior was like other elevators that were used primarily for quick transfer of grain from a freighter to a rail car or vice versa. By the time the 1960s arrived, and the St. Lawrence Seaway was putting an end to Buffalo as a grain transfer center, many of the grain elevators that were still clinging to existence (like the Superior) were being used as long-term storage facilities for European export which could have taken months from the time the grain was first delivered to the elevator.
Related site: http://www.buffalohistoryworks.com/grain/history/history.htm
No comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment!