Oakland Cemetery was deeded to "the people of Iowa City" by the Iowa territorial legislature on February 13, 1843. The original plot was one block square, with the southwest corner at Governor and Church. It is home to the legendary monument called the "Black Angel", which is an 8.5 foot tall monument for the Feldevert family erected in 1912. The facts behind the Black Angel long ago gave way to myths, superstitions and legend surrounding its mysterious change in color from a golden bronze cast to an eerie black. http://www.icgov.org/site/CMSv2/file/parksAndRecreation/oaklandhistory.pdf
The second page of this album is devoted to the sculpter of the Black Angel, Mario Korbel.