Theaters from the past

 
Copyright Dave Darby. May not be utilized or reproduced for any purpose commercial or otherwise without express permission from owner. Prints are for private use only, and do not constitute permission for reproduction or publication.

davburt1

BURTIS OPERA HOUSE

Opened December 25, 1867. The Burtis Opera House is a fine structure with a seating capacity of 1600.
Sopranos...Symphony...Salty....Burtis had it all
Truly, Davenport was built on the arts. Before there were paved
streets and running water to homes in the city, there were opera
houses with 40 foot domed ceilings where Chicago operatic troupes
traveled on horseback to perform. The most famous of these was the
Burtis Opera House.

The Burtis Opera House, located at 415 Perry, now houses Tri-City Electric.

Image URL for use on other sites:
Link to send via email/instant messenger:
Code for a Fotki Journal:
Taken: August 02, 2004
Uploaded: January 01, 2006
88
Captured with:
Kodak DX6490 Zoom

exif