Public Home > OLD TIME PHOTO COLLECTION > SCOTT COUNTY TENNESSEE > #10 - Norma in the Old Days > John Burlin Jeffers and Kizzie Ann (DUNCAN) J…

#10 - Norma in the Old Days

In the early 1900s, Norma, in Scott County, was a bustling community with several lumber mills although now it barely seems to exist. It fits prominently into the Walker story in the case of Dr. Andrew Calvin Walker, who was a doctor there late in his life and died in 1926. Some locations, from postcards that belonged to him, are included on this page; click any for a larger picture.
Visit: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~edwardbwalker/places/norma.html

INFORMATION FROM DESCENDANTS: John B. Jeffers, and Kizzie Duncan Jeffers, were married April 3, 1904 in Scott Co. Tennessee. John B and Frank Smithers built a two story building in Norma. The Store was downstairs and they called it “Norma Union Store”. Both Families lived upstairs. Apparently it wasn’t profitable enough to sustain two families and John eventually bought Frank’s share. Gradually the store became more successful and they weathered the Depression pretty well. Five of John B and Kizzie’s seven children were raised to adulthood with their primary years over the store. The children were: Dot (Oran Holloway); Tressie Beulah (Virgil Murley); Nevva (Marley Phillips); James Hoyal (Jean Debord); Darel (never married); Dennis (died at age 10); and Jaymon (died at 3 months). Nevva said that her early training in honesty came in this store when her dad (John B.) taught her to use a candy scales. He taught her to look at it straight on so that you didn’t cheat the customer or yourself. Those little white scales have passed down to Nevva’s daughter, Kay Phillips Davis, and are still in her possession. John B. told Nevva on his deathbed that if he ever cheated a man out of a penny he didn’t know it. When John B. retired and moved to Oneida, he sold the store to Kermit and Elwood Sharp and they changed the name to Sharp Brothers Store. Kermit worked the coal mines and Elwood ran the store for about eight years. It must have been about this time that Elwood bought Kermit’s share and it became known as Sharp’s Cash Store, which it remained throughout the years until it burned down.

If you can identify the ones that need a name, or want to comment, please do so either by email: erayaustin@outlook.com, or at bottom of picture!

  • Share
 
pixel
John Burlin Jeffers and Kizzie Ann (DUNCAN) Jeffers at Norma Union Store
pixel
erayaustin@outlook.com

John Burlin Jeffers and Kizzie Ann (DUNCAN) Jeffers at Norma Union Store

The store was originally called the NORMA UNION STORE, first owned by John Burlin Jeffers. Later it was sold and renamed SHARP BROTHER'S STORE when owned and operated by Elwood Sharpe and his brother, Kermit Sharp. Then the name changed again to SHARP’S CASH STORE, owned and operated by Elwood Sharp, until it was destroyed by fire.

Notice the old Gravity fed gas pump.

Image URL for use on other sites:
copied!
Link to send via email/instant messenger:
copied!
Fotki Code:
copied!
Code for HTML page:
copied!
Taken: August 09, 2013
Uploaded: August 11, 2013
667

exif