| || |
The Průhonice castle was established as a fortified Romanesque settlement in the 12th century and was soon remodeled into a small Gothic castle. This chateau was then rebuilt into an enclosed Renaissance castle in the 16th century. At beginning of the 19th century the castle was reconstructed in Empire style, and at the end of the same century it underwent its last reconstruction, in so-called "Czech Neo-Renaissance" style. The oldest preserved part is the small Romanesque church.
The park surrounding the chateau is about 250 hectares in size and was landscaped in 1885. Many imported species were added to the landscape in addition to the original vegetation and there is a lovely botanical garden as well. There are approximately 40 kilometers of walking trails throughout the grounds.
What a beautiful place this is, and only about 15 kilometers from the Prague city center.