Isui-en - the front garden
The front garden lies to the west (right side of the entrance). It was once a part of the "Manishu-In," which belonged to Kofuku-ji Temple. In the Enpo era (1670's) the wealthy Kiyosumi family bought the area and changed the layout of the garden. They constructed a villa consisting of two thatched roof houses (Sanshu-tei and Tei-shu-ken) and often invited their literary friends, artists and people of refined taste to enjoy the tea ceremony and the beauty of the garden. The focus here is on the central pond and the arrangement of the lush greenery around it.