2009 - going into 3 years!!!
I can't believe I'm starting another year online! I'm not too sure how much longer I'll be doing this. Not much is changing and my routine hasn't added anything new or spectacular.
Since the birth of the little one, I definitely don't have as much time to experiment with my hair, or fully style it for that matter. So, I've learned to embrace protective styles a lot more. For quite a while, I was doing buns (for most of December '08). Now, I am venturing out.
So, 2009 is being deemed the year of protection. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make a challenge for myself. 2009 will be completely all about protective styles and less manipulation. It's a time saver for me and healthy hair is a great side benefit!!!
My Self-Imposed Rules:
NOTHING BUT PROTECTIVE STYLES ALL YEAR LONG!!!
- Box Braids - natural hair, no extensions added - because I have found - to me - the addition of the extensions defeats the purpose (that is, if your hair is long enough). They are done so tight, and that synthetic hair can cut into your natural hair.
- Two-strand twists - I'll probably do these minimally. My hair tends to loc in twists that are left in for too long. And because they take soooooo long to do, it's almost a waste of time for me.
- Buns - easy protective style, especially for the ends, but high manipulation for me - to be used when I'm "in-between" other protective styles
BI-WEEKLY OPTIMAL ROUTINE:
- Cleanse with Bentonite Clay
- Follow with 3-Minute Mask
- Apply a leave-in
- Protective Style it up
- Coconut Oil applied to style daily
- Apply a little leave-in to the ends as needed
- Rinse once a week to ten days (or as needed)
- Tie up with a silk scarf nightly to limit frizzies and extend the life of the style.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water daily.
- Increase protein intake...good for me, baby and my hair :)
That's it...no exceptions!