Hill End, the village are the remains of a once booming gold town. Like many other Australian gold towns the start was rushed. In 1851 temporary buildings were replaced as each area grew.Most gold towns were built on top of the first finds and followed the run of gold - the amounts ofgold dug emulated the size and number of town buildings erected.It was common for gold strikes to occur within a kilometre or so of each other, and without realizing the extent of the gold field each initial find would claim to be a separate gold area.Hill End was no exception. Many small strikes and finally two main towns which were part of the one field. Tambaroora was the start only to be usurped by the formerly named Bald Hills becoming best known by its latter gold rush christening - Hillend.