The original Long Plain Homestead was built by a Bobby Joyce for Dr Campbell to support his grazing leases. Alvy Oddy was the last leaseholder until late in the 1960's. The building, constructed of timber and lined with a wooden floor, is large at 7m by 11m. There are four main rooms and a verandah. The chimneys are mud mortared rock with iron flues. The original shingle roof was covered in 1927. It is now a National Parks and Wildlife Service rest area, and was badly vandalised until recent restoration. Fences now keep the cars away from the buildings.
The Long Plain and the Long Plain Hut are memorable for a number of reasons: The Long Plain is the source of the Murrumbidgee River.