George C Boldt had work started on Heart Island in 1900. In 1904 his wife died and he suspended all work at that time. The property sat abandoned until 1977 when the Thousand Island Bridge Authority acquired it and has been working on restoration since that time. The main buildings on the property are the castle home, the childrens play house, a dovecote and power house. The yacht house is across the water from the home.