Public Home > Travel Pictures
       

Travel Pictures

Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Academia / Pomeroy Covered Bridge
Aug 11, 2014

This is the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning Tuscarora creek. Its length is 270 feet and width is 15 feet 6 inches. The structure utilizes the Burr Arch design, it was originally built in 1870 by James M. Groninger. The bridge has gone under a complete restoration and was reconstructed to its original design.

Album was created Today, 8 hours 23 minutes ago and modified Today, 7 hours 12 minutes ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 9 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Port Royal / Lehman's Covered Bridge
Aug 11, 2014

The original bridge was built in 1888 and destroyed by hurricane Agnes in 1972. The Lehman's had it rebuilt using steel supported stringer structure with a Burr arch design (for decoration) The bridge crosses Licking creek. The length of the structure is 108 feet and has a width of 15 feet 6 inches. The original builder is unknown.

Album was created Yesterday and modified Yesterday
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Dimmsville Covered Bridge
Aug 11, 2014

The bridge was built in 1902 and the builder is unknown The length is 100 ft. and the width is 15 ft. The bridge is on private property and spans the Cocolamus creek. The bridge looks like it's ready to collapse into the creek, I don't think it will last much longer.

Album was created 2 days ago and modified 2 days ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
East Oriental / Meiser's Covered Bridge
Aug 11, 2014

The structure was built in 1907 using the Burr Truss, it has 1 span and crosses the Hahantango Creek. The length is 90 ft. and the width is 15 ft. 6 in. The builder is unknown and the owner is private. There is no traffic allowed on the bridge. The bridge was almost hidden with trees, missed it the first time but found it the second time. Spoke to a nice women who seems to be the bridge owner. She took the time to walk me to the bridge to take a few photos of it.

Album was created 3 days ago and modified 3 days ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Schlicher's Covered Bridge
Oct 3, 2012

The bridge was built in 1882 and is located on Trexler Game Preserve Rd. southwest of Schnecksville, Pa. It is not open to traffic at this time. Bridge was rebuilt in 2014 and is open to traffic again.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 3 days ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 11 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Keefer Mills Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

The Keefer Bridge was built in 1853 by William Butler for $498.00. The site was near Geringer's Mill, about which little is known. Montour County records, however list it as the Keefer Bridge, possibly after builder, George W. Keefer.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Moreland/Frasier Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

Built in 1888 of the Burr Arch design and a structure length of 186 feet spanning Little Muncy creek, this bridge is in good condition, the bridge is open to traffic, as of 2014 with just a turn around. The bridge is nestled in a small valley with scenic mountains on all sides.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Buttonwood Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

The Buttonwood bridge was built in 1898 with the multiple king truss variant design and the structure length of 169 feet spanning Blockhouse creek. The bridge is in outstanding condition with a new wood shingled roof and pressure treated floor.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Buckhorn Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

This bridge was built in 1877 of the Burr Arch design with a structure length of 190 feet crossing Larry's Creek. Cogan House bridge is in outstanding condition and open to traffic as of 2014, and leads to a dead end private drive near the game lands.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
James S. Fink Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

The bridge was built in 1986 utilizing a Stringer truss. It crosses Larry's creek in Anthony TWP. The structure is 62 feet long and is open to vehicle traffic, but it is on a private road and to view the bridge you must walk in about fifty yards.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 1 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Logan Mills Covered Bridge
Jun 17, 2014

The bridge crosses over Big Fishing creek. It was built in 1874 and the builder is unknown. The truss is a Queen post and it is 64" in length. The bridge had a complete reconstruction that was completed in January 2004. The bridge was again opened to all traffic. Logan Mills Covered Bridge is located near the small mountain village of Loganton, Pa. among many Amish farms. The bridge has a very beautiful setting in farmland and rolling hills.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 7 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Factory Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The bridge is in excellent condition and is open to daily traffic. This bridge is built with Akinspost truss system between 2 queen post trusses. It is capable of withstanding a weight of 34 tons, it has reinforced I beams placed under its deck. Both sides and the portals are covered with vertical boards and batten siding. The deck is lengthwise planking and the roof sheet metal. The Factory bridge was built in circa 1800 and is 16' wide and 60" long.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hubler Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The bridge had been constructed in 1850 of multiple kingpost truss design. The bridge spans the little Buffalo creek. Length of the bridge is 33 feet and a width of 15 feet. The builder of this bridge is unknown. The bridge is in excellent condition and closed to traffic. A gate has been placed in the middle of the bridge dividing the private property from the Lewisburg federal prison property.

Album was created 1 month ago and modified 1 month ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 2 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hassenplug Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

Hassenplug was built in 1825 (this is suppose to be the oldest bridge in the state) using the Burr arch design. The bridge crosses over Buffalo Creek in the town of Mifflinburg. The length of the structure is 80 ft. and the width is 16 ft. The builder of the bridge is unknown. It is open to daily traffic and is in very good condition.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hayes Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1882 using the multiple kingpost truss. The bridge is in good condition and is used by daily traffic. The builder is unknown..The length of the structure is 70 feet.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Millmont Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The Millmont Red bridge (also known as the Glen Iron bridge) was built in 1855 using the Burr arch truss design, the bridge crosses Penns creek in Union county, Pennsylvania.

The length is 154 ft and the width is14 feet. The builder is unknown. This is the longest bridge in Union County, and with the long horizontal siding it looks even longer. There are no windows and the only openings are the side openings under the eves of the sheet metal roof.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Klinepeter Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The original bridge was built in 1871 using the Burr Truss design. The bridges length is 100 ft. and the width of 16 feet 4 inches. The builder is unknown. The condition of the bridge is really good and open to vehicle traffic. The Klinepeter is a very impressive bridge spanning the middle creek tributary.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Beavertown Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1870 using the Burr Arch design with multiple king post. Thelength is 95 feet and the width is 14 feet 8 inches. It spans Middle creek and is owned by the County.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
North Oriental Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1908 using the Queen post with Kingpost. The bridge had been rebuilt in 1987 after being damaged by a truck. The bridge today (2014) is in fair condition and open to vehicle traffic. The length of the bridge is 62 ft. and the width is 12 ft. 6 inches.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Aline Covered Bridge
Jun 16, 2014

The Aline Covered Bridge was built in 1884 and is 60 feet long and 18 feet wide. It is not open to vehicle traffic but is in good condition.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 7 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Rebuck Covered Bridge
Jun 15, 2014

Rebuck bridge (also known as Himmels Church bridge) is beautifully situated on a country road in the village of Rebuck, Pa., on a small hill over looking the bridge is Himmels Church. The bridge was built in 1874 using the multiple Kingpost design, it has a structure length of 43' and crosses Schwaben creek. The bridge is quite nicely maintained. The painting is eye catching using bach red vertical weather boards and white battens. The bridge is opened to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Keefer Station Covered Bridge

The bridge was built in 1888 using the Burr Arch design. The cost of the bridge was $882.00 and the length of the bridge is 109 ft. The bridge crosses Shamokin creek. This bridge is opened to traffic.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Northwood Covered Bridge
Jun 15, 2014

The design is of a multiple kingpost truss, the length is 47' 11" and the builder is unknown. It is open to traffic. I would hesitate to take my vehicle over this structure.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 2 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Rishel Covered Bridge
Jun 15, 2014

Rishel covered bridge (also known as Montandon bridge) was built in 1830 by John Shriner and Zacheus Braley using the Burr Arch design, it has a structure length of 121 ft. and crosses the Chillisquaque Creek. The bridge has the distinction of being the oldest covered bridge in the state of Pennsylvania. The bridge was reconstructed in 1982 and is open to traffic.

Album was created 2 months ago and modified 2 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Speakman #1 Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

This bridge at one time served the Jonathan Speakman gristmill and so it was named. The bridge was built in 1881 by Menander Wood and Ferdinand Wood utilizing the Burr Arch for the sum of $2,000. The structure is 75 feet long and 14 feet wide and crosses Buck Run. The bridge is in good condition and open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Rudolph and Arthur Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

This bridge was built by the site of the paper firm owned by Rudolph and Arthur families in 1880, the contractor for the structure was Menander Wood who built it for the sum of $1,440. Richard T. Meredith was the mason and laid the stone and mortar abutments and wing walls for $890. The bridge utilizes the Burr Arch design, it is 80 feet long and 15 feet wide, it crosses Big Elk Creek. This bridge is in good condition and open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Glen Hope Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

The structure was built in 1889 by Menander Wood and George E. Jones utilizing the Burr Truss. The bridge 65 feet long and 16 feet wide it crosses Elk Creek. Glen Hope is owned and maintained by Chester County. The bridge is in good condition and open to traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Linton Stevens Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

The bridge was built in 1886 by J. Denithorne & Son utilizing the Burr Arch, it crosses Big Elk Creek. The length of the structure is 102 feet and has a 15 foot width, it is in good condition and open to vehicle traffic. The County of Chester owns and maintains this bridge. Linton Stevens (Stephens) was the postmaster of the town of Hickory Hill

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 7 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
White Rock Forge Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

It was built in 1847 by John Russell and Elias McMellen, but the original was destroyed and rebuilt in 1884. The wooden burr truss structure is 103 feet long and 13 feet wide. It is in good condition and open to daily traffic. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Pine Grove Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

The original bridge was built in 1816 but was destroyed by a storm. The second bridge was built in 1846 and was swept away by ice. The bridge standing today was built in 1884 by Elias McMellen utilizing the Burr Truss it was refurbished in 2008. The bridge is 198 feet long and 15 feet wide, and crosses the Octoraro Creek. This bridge is in excellent condition and open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Jackson Saw Mill Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

The Jackson's Sawmill Covered Bridge or Eichelbergers Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge was built in 1878 by John Smith and Samuel Stauffer at a cost of $2,410.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Mercer's Mill Covered Bridge
May 7, 2014

The bridge was built in 1880 by B.C. Carter using the Burr Arch design, the length of the bridge is 86 feet and has a width of 15 feet. This bridge crosses Octoraro Creek, it is in good condition and open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Colemanville Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim. The length is 170 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is open to all traffic and is in good condition. The Colemanville Covered Bridge was originally built in 1856 by James C. Carpenter at a cost of $2,244.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Baumgardener's Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The Baumgardener's Covered Bridge was built in 1860 by Davis Kitch at a cost of $1,284. The length of the structure is 120 feet and the width is 15 feet. The bridge is open to all traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 2 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Lime Valley Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge is 103 feet long and 15 feet wide, the structure is open to daily traffic. It was built in 1871 by either Joseph Cramer or Elias McMellan at a cost of $3,500. The bridge was a twin to another covered bridge built in 1857 by Silas Wolverton that was located 200 ft. (61 m) to the west of the Lime Valley Covered Bridge.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Leaman's Place Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The length of the structure is 113 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is in good condition and open to all traffic. The land that the Leaman's Place Covered Bridge is situated on was settled by the family of Mary Ferree in 1712, a land grant by William Penn in an area inhabited by the Pequaws indians. It was not until 1845 that James C. Carpenter built the covered bridge across the Pequea Creek at a cost of $933.00. In 1893, Elias McMellan rebuilt the covered bridge at a cost of $2,431. The bridge was rehabilitated in 2004.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Herr's Mill Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a double span, wooden, double Burr arch truss design. It is painted red on the outside, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The length is 178 feet and the width is 15 feet, this bridge is blocked off and admits no traffic at all. The bridge is in fare condition. The bridge has a double span, wooden, double Burr arch truss design. It is painted red on the outside, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The length is 178 feet and the width is 15 feet, this bridge is blocked off and admits no traffic at all. The bridge is in fair condition.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Willow Hill Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on the outside. The inside is unpainted. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge is in good condition. It was built in 1962 by Roy Zimmerman as a reconstruction using parts of the Miller's Farm Covered Bridge, built in 1871 by Elias McMellen, and Good's Fording Covered Bridge built in 1855, it crosses Mill Creek and is 93 feet and 15 feet wide.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Neff's Mill Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. It is purportedly the narrowest covered bridge in the county.The bridge length is 102 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is in good condition and opened to daily traffic. The covered bridge was originally built by Christian Brackbill in 1824, it was rebuilt in 1875 by James C. Carpenter at a cost of $1,860.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. The bridge, which spans the Conestoga River, is 180 feet long and 15 feet wide, making it the longest single span covered bridge in the county. The bridge is open to all traffic and in good condition. The original bridge was built in 1843 by John Russell at a cost of $1,988. It was and is a double Burr arch truss system.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Pinetown Bushong's Mill Covered Bridge.

The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. The bridge is 133 feet and the width is 15 feet. The bridge was built in 1867 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $4,500.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 8 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Buckhill Farm Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

It is located on the Buck Hill Farm's pond on private property. The original build date and builder of the covered bridge is unknown. However, it was probably built around 1825 to provide access to Abram Hess's store. The bridge is 58 feet long and 15 feet wide, it is in fair condition it crosses a farm pond and only open to foot traffic.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Forry's Mill Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014



Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Chicques Creek in West Hempfield in Lancaster County. This is one of forty seven bridges either built or repaired in Lancaster County by Elias McMellen and is named for the Forry family who lived in the old stone house located on the adjoining property. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge was built in 1869 by Elias McMellen, the length of the structure is 103 feet and the with is 15 feet. The bridge is open to vehicle traffic and is in very good condition.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Siegrist's Mill Covered Bridge
May 6, 2014

The bridge was built in 1855 by James C. Carpenter. It was named after the Siegrist family who lived nearby. The length of the structure is 91 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is in good condition and opened to all traffic. The bridge is located on Township Route 360, Rapho Township, where it meets Township Route 669, West Hempfield Township, approximately 2 miles north of Ironville, between Rapho and West Hempfield townships.

Album was created 3 months ago and modified 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Sheeder Hall Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge is located on Hollow Rd. SW of Hiestand, Pa. It was built in 1850 by Robert Russell and Jacob Fox. The bridge is 100 feet long and 15 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Kennedy Covered bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge is located on 7 Stars Rd. in East Vincent Township. The original bridge was built in 1856 at a cost of $2,149.00, it burned down in 1986 and was rebuilt in 1987. It is 100 feet long and 14 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 2 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Rapp's Dam Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1866 and is named for George A. Rapp who had a sawmill and grist mill just south of the bridge. It's 105 feet long and 14 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic. The bridge is located on Rapp's Dam Rd., .3 mile south of Rt. 23

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Knox/Valley Forge Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge is located on Valley Spring Rd. in Valley Forge Park. The bridge is 65 feet long and 13 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic. The original bridge was built in 1851 and destroyed in the flood of 1865 and was then replaced with this bridge.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Gibson's Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1872 by Edward Hall and Thomas Schull at a cost of $2600.00, it is 78 feet long and 14 feet wide using the Burr Arch method of construction. The bridge is open to traffic and in good condition. It's located on Harmony ill Rd. about 2 miles south of Downingtown, Pa.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Bartram's Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge was built by Ferdinand Wood and is 60 feet long and 13 feet wide. The bridge is in good condition and is closed to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Larkin Covered Bridge
Apr 16, 2014

The bridge was built in 1854 by the Wood brothers and rebuilt in 1881. It was moved in 2006 along Graphite Mine Rd. just east of Rt. 100 in Eagle, Pa. The bridge is 60 feet long and 14 feet wide and is open to foot traffic.

Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Chester County, Pa. covered bridges
Apr 16, 2014
Album was created 4 months ago and modified 4 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 31 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Trip to Columbia County and Ricketts Glen State Park
Jun 1, 2011
Album was created 7 months ago and modified 7 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 86 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Schenk's Mill Covered Bridge
Nov 15, 2013

The bridge was built in 1885 by Charles Malhorn and Levi Fink. It is located on Township Route 372, Rapho Township, where it becomes Township Route 552, East Hempfield Township, approximately 1.8 miles northwest of Landisville, between Rapho and East Hempfield townships. The length is 96 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is is good condition and open to all traffic.

Album was created 9 months ago and modified 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Kaufman's Distillery Covered Bridge

Kauffman's Distillery Covered Bridge was originally built in 1857 at a cost of $1,185 by James C. Carpenter. The length of the structure is 96 feet and the width is 15 feet it is in very good condition and open to vehicle traffic. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The bridge is located southwest of Manheim between Rapho and Penn Townships 0.15 miles southeast of Pennsylvania Route 772 and 1.4 miles west of Pennsylvania Route 72 on Sun Hill Road.

Album was created 9 months ago and modified 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Shearer's Covered Bridge
Nov 15, 2013

The original Shearer's Bridge was built in 1847 by Jacob Clare over Chickies Creek at a cost of about $600.00 The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is the only covered bridge in the county painted entirely in red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside including both approaches. The length of the structure is 89 feet and the width is 15 feet, it is in good condition and only open to foot traffic. In 1971 it was moved four miles to Manheim Memorial Park across from the high school at a cost of $12,000.00

Album was created 9 months ago and modified 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 10 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge
Nov 15, 2013

The bridge was built in 1843 by John Russell at a cost of $1988.00, it had to be rebuilt in 1973 at a cost of $321,302.00 after damage from Hurricane Agnes. It is 180 feet long, 15 feet wide and is open to traffic and in good condition. It's the longest single span covered bridge in Lancaster County, Pa. and spans the Conestoga River near the community of Hunsecker.

Album was created 9 months ago and modified 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Zook's Mill Covered Bridge
Oct 5, 2013

The structure was built in 1849 by Henry Zook. The bridge is 74 feet long and 13 feet 3 inches wide. It is located west of Brownstown on T797, near the Warwick and West Earl Townships. The bridge withstood Hurricane Agnes, despite being filled with 6 1/2' of water.

Album was created 9 months ago and modified 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Erb's Covered Bridge
Oct 5, 2013

The bridge can be found on Erb's Bridge Road north of Picnic Woods Road approximately 1 mile north of Pennsylvania route 772 and Rothsville, Pennsylvania. The bridge was originally built in 1849 for a cost of $700.00, In 1887 the bridge was rebuilt by John G. Bowman for $1744.00 The bridge can be found on Erb's Bridge Road north of Picnic Woods Road approximately 1 mile north of Pennsylvania route 772 and Rothsville, Pennsylvania.

Album was created 10 months ago and modified 10 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Tour of KME Fire Truck Factory
Sep 21, 2013
Album was created 11 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 60 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Colonial Williamsburg, Va.
Sep 17, 2013
Album was created 11 months ago and modified 11 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 698 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Kutz's Covered Bridge
Aug 23, 2013

The bridge was built in 1854 and is 93 feet long and 16 feet wide. It is open to vehicle traffic on is located on Twp. Rt. 798. Kutz Mill Rd. about 2 miles NW of Kutztown, Pa.

Album was created 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Dreibelbis Covered Bridge
Aug 23, 2013

The bridge was built in 1869 and uses the Burr Arch truss system. It's 172 feet long, 16 Feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic. The bridge is located near Lenhartsville, Pa. just off Rt. 143 about 1.5 miles south of town.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Wertz's Covered Bridge

The bridge was built in 1867 by Amandas Knerr using the Burr Arch truss system. It crosses the Tulpehocken Creek near the Reading, Pa. airport and is only open to foot traffic. It is the longest single span covered bridge in Pennsylvania with a length of 204 feet and a width of 15 feet.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 8 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Heikes Covered Bridge
Aug 16, 2013

The bridge was built in 1892 using a Burr Arch, it is 67 feet long, 14 feet wide. It is located about 2.5 north of Heidlersburg, Pa. It's on private land and is used for storage.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Griesemer's Covered Bridge
Aug 23, 2013

The bridge was built in 1832 using the Burr Arch method of construction, it is the oldest covered bridge in Berks County, Pa. It is 124 feet long, 14 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic. Located on Twp. Rt. 579 just north of Sprangsville.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Anderson Farms Covered Bridge
Aug 16, 2013

The bridge was originally located over Mud Creek and was moved by a farmer named Anderson. It is now located on private property and used for storage. The length is 79 feet and the width is 14 feet. It's located near Bermudian in Lattimore Township, Pa.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Jack's Mountain Covered Bridge
Aug 16, 2013

The bridge is located on Jack's Mountain Rd. SW of Fairfield, Pa. It's 75 feet long, 14 feet wide and is constructed using the Burr Arch. It's the only covered bridge in Adams County open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 2 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Saucks Covered Bridge
Aug 16, 2013

The bridge is located just west of the Eisenhower National Historic site in Gettysburg, Pa. It is 100 feet long and 15 feet wide and open to foot traffic. The bridge was used by both Confederate and Union troops during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 2 views
    • 2 visitors
    • 7 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Pleasantville Covered Bridge
Aug 23, 2013

The bridge was built in 1852 using the Burr Arch Truss system, it is 16 feet wide and 128 feet long. The bridge is located south of Pleasantville, Pa. on Covered Bridge Rd. and is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 12 months ago and modified 12 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 7 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Everhart Covered Bridge
Aug 14, 2013

The bridge was built in 1881 using the King Post truss design, it is 36 feet long. The bridge was originally located in Perry County and was moved to the Fort Hunter Park in Harrisburg, Pa. in 1940

Album was created 1 year ago and modified 1 year ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 8 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Henninger Farms Covered Bridge
Aug 14, 2013

The bridge is constructed using the Burr Arch design. It is 16 feet wide and 72 feet long. It is located near Elizabethville, Pa.

Album was created 1 year ago and modified 1 year ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Misc. scenes
May 6, 2013
Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Van Sant Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located just west of Washington's Crossing State Park on Township RT. 392. It was built in 1875 and is 86 feet long and 15 feet wide. It is in good condition and is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Schofield Ford Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located in Tyler State Park near Bucks County Community College. It is built using the Town Truss design. The bridge is 166 feet long and 17 feet wide, it is not open to vehicle traffic. The original bridge was burned in 1991 and was rebuilt in 1997 using authentic materials and construction methods.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Pine Valley Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located NW of New Britain, Pa. on Township Rt. 340. It was built in 1842 with the Town truss design, is 81 feet long and 15 feet wide. It is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Loux Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is on State Rt. 1003 SE of Pipersville, Pa. The bridge was built in 1874, has one span, is 89 feet long and 15 feet wide. It is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 9 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Cabin Run Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located in Plumstead Township on Township Rt. 409. It was built in 1871 using the Town Truss design. The bridge is 82 feet long, 15 feet wide and is open to traffic.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Frankenfield Covered bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located on Township Rt. 440 SW of Erwinna. It was built in 1872, used the Town Truss method of construction and has 2 spans. The bridge is 130 feet long and 12 feet wide and is open to vehicle traffic

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Erwinna Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is on Geigel Hill Rd. NW of Erwinna, Pa. It was built in 1871 using the Town Truss method of construction. It is 56 feet long and 15 feet wide, it is the shortest covered bridge in Bucks County. It is open to vehicle traffic and when I took the pictures Pendot was just finishing repairs from a truck ripping out the upper structure of the bridge.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Uhlerstown Covered Bridge
May 6, 2013

The bridge is located over the Delaware Canal west of Uhlerstown, Pa. on Township Rt. 441. It was built in 1832 using the Town truss method of construction. It's 110 feet long, 15 feet wide and is in good condition and open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 3 months ago and modified 1 year 3 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Knecht's CoveredBridge
Nov 19, 2012

The bridge is located on Twp. Rt. 418 2 miles southeast of Pleasant Valley, Pa. It was built in 1873 using the Town Truss design and crosses the Cooks Creek. It is 110 ft. long and is open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Sheard's Mill Covered Bridge
Nov 19, 2012

The bridge is located on State Rt. 4099 in Thatcher, Pa. The bridge was bilt in 1873 and s open to vehicle traffic. It's 130 ft. long and ft. wide

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Mood's Covered Bridge
Nov 19, 2012

Mood's Bride is loated onState Rt. 4089 1 mile northeast of Perkasie, Pa. It as built in 1874 using the Town Truss design. It's 121 ft. long ad 15 ft wide and i open to vehicle traffic.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
South Perkasie Cvered Bridge
Nov 19, 2012

The brige is located in Lenape Park in the southern area of Perkasie. It was built in 1832 and is the oldest covered bridge in Bucks county,Pa. It was moved to the park in 1958 to avoid demolition.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 10 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Knoebel's Grove Amusement Park Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

Pennsylvania's newest covered bridge which was built by the park.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Snyder Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge was built in 1876 and crosses the north branch of Roaring Creek.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 3 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Davis Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge was built in 1875 at a cost of $1248.00 and used the Burr Arch design. It is located on Twp. Rt. 371 south of Catawissa, Pa.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Esther Furnace Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge is built with the Queen Truss design and has two spans with a supporting pier in the middle. It was built in 1881 at a cost of $1044.75 and is located south of Catawissa, Pa. crossing the north branch of the Roaring Creek.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Parr's Mill Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge was built using the Burr Arch design in 1866 at a cost of $1275.00. It crosses the north branch of Roaring Creek and is located os Twp.Rt. 371 south of Catawissa, Pa. It was under restoration at the time I took the pictures.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Johnson's Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge was built with the Queen truss design in 1882 at a cost of $799.00. It crosses the south branch of Roaring Creek and is located on Twp. Rt. 320 east of Knoebel's Grove

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Krickbaum Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge was built with the Queen Post design in 1876 at a cost of $732.00. It's located on Twp. Rt. 302 northeast of Bear Gap, Pa. and crosses the south branch of Roaring Creek.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Richard's Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The Bridge uses a modified multiple Kingpost design. It was built in 1880 at a cost of $565.00. Its located on Twp. Rt. 337 south of Knoebel's Grove and crosses the south branch of the Roaring Creek.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Lawrence L. Knoebel Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge crosses the south branch of Roaring Creek and is located in Knoebel Grove Amusement Park. It was built in 1881 at a cost of 348.00 and was originally located near Benton, Pa. and was moved to the park in 1936.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 1 views
    • 1 visitors
    • 4 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Hollingshead Covered Bridge
Nov 12, 2012

The bridge is a Burr Arch design. It crosses the Catawissa Creek and is located on Twp. Rt. 405 southeast of Catawissa, Pa. It was built in 1851 ay a cost of $1180.00

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 6 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Rex Covered Bridge
Oct 3, 2012

The bridge was built in 1858 using the Burr Arch method of construction. It is open to daily traffic.

Album was created 1 year 9 months ago and modified 1 year 9 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 5 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Historic Bethlehem, Pa
Album was created 6 years 10 months ago and modified 1 year 10 months ago
    • No comments
    • 2 views
    • 2 visitors
    • 58 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Maine 2010
Jul 19, 2010
Album was created 4 years 1 month ago and modified 1 year 10 months ago
    • No comments
    • 4 views
    • 4 visitors
    • 656 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Yuengling Brewery tour
Dec 27, 2004
Album was created 9 years 9 months ago and modified 1 year 10 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 24 files
Copyright Dave Nichols
 
Misc. Travel Pictures
Album was created 9 years 3 months ago and modified 1 year 10 months ago
    • No comments
    • 0 views
    • 0 visitors
    • 248 files
Show next 100 albums →