The Mother of all skyscrapers, the flax mill has been a landmark on the Shrewsbury skyline for two centuries and was close to being lost. It was designed by Charles Bage, built in 1796-97 and was the world's first iron framed building.
It operated untill 1886, then was converted to process barley for the brewing industry. The maltings worked untill 1987. Then it lay empty, becoming increasingly derelict, untill being aquired by English Heritage. In Autumn 2007 the scaffolding finally went up to make essential repairs to the roofing. The development plans are currently held up by the failure to find a new site for the neighbouring bus depot whose land is part of the scheme. Photos taken June 2006, pre preservation and redevelopment, and designed as a slide show.