| || |
The Three Cities
Vittoriosa, Cospicua & Senglea .
The three harbour towns, enclosed as they are within the so-called Cottonera Lines, share the same history as that of Valletta, having all served as Malta's principal maritime towns for the last four hundred years.
Vittoriosa, also known as Birgu (from the word Borgo meaning suburb) is one of the two promontories extending towards Valletta, from across the harbour's southern side.
Alongside Mdina, it is the oldest town in Malta
Cospicua, also known as Bormla, is the youngest of the three towns. The town nestles behind to No1 Dock built in 1848, in Porto delle Galere, the older name for Dockyard Creek. The town plans were laid out in 1717 on a grid system.
Senglea, also known as L-Isla had was planned on a grid pattern in 1551 by the Grand Master De La Sengle.
The Three Cities were occupied by the Knights of St. John in 1530 on their arrival in Malta and later defended heroically against the Turkish onslaught.
We also gathered with the local people in the Town Square known as LL-Pjazza to watch the Easter Sunday procession with a statue of the Risen Christ moves around the streets close to the Church. At the end the way is cleared and the statue-bearers take a run to carry the Risen Christ triumphantly back into the church.
| PROTECTED |
| || |
| || |
Copyright of Catherine Mitchell