Pleyber J. & Hassid Fernandez Eli (Ζαν Ζοζέφ Πλεϊμπέρ & Ελί Χασίδ Φερνάνδες)
Jean Joseph Pleyber (Ζαν Ζοζέφ Πλεϊμπέρ)(1864 - 1947)
Pleyber was a French mechanic who came in Thessaloniki with the French troops in 1916 and stayed in the city after the end of WWI. He was a member of the Commission responsible for drawing up the city's Reconstruction Plan. He was also concerned with the problem of housing the Refugees after 1922. He was burried in the Catholic Cemetery of Thessaloniki.
From 1923 to 1927 he built quite a few buildings in the city centre usually in collaboration with the architect Eli Hassid Fernandez.
Their most famous (and still surviving) structures are:
Ascher Israel Building (ca 1925, Ayias Sofias & Ermou str.),
Cohen Building (ca 1925, Venizelou & Vassileos Irakliou str.),
Collège Français Jean Beptiste De La Salle (ca 1926 , aka Diikitika Dikastiria - Διοικητικά Δικαστήρια, 4 Frangon street),
Gategno - Florentin Building (ca 1924, Tsimiski & Venizelou & Ayiou Mina str., in collaboration with Hassid- Fernandez),
Hotel Excelsior (ca 1929, Komninon & Mitropoleos str., in collaboration with Hassid- Fernandez),
Hotel Tourist (ca 1923, Komninon & Mitropoleos str., in collaboration with Hassid- Fernandez),
Mallah Building (ca 1924, Ermou & Venizelou str., in collaboration with Hassid- Fernandez),
Nahmia Building (ca 1925, Tsimiski str., in collaboration with Hassid- Fernandez),
3rd Army Corps Memorial Monument (ca 1917, Stratou Avenue)
References: INFLUENCES FRANÇAISES DANS LA FORMATION DE L'URBANISME MODERNE EN GRECE 1914-1923 by Kiki Kafkoula - Alexandra Yerolympos