Public Home > The BURIAL GROUNDS of Sutherland > GOLSPIE PARISH > GOLSPIE - St Andrews (GO-B)

GOLSPIE - St Andrews (GO-B)

St Andrews Churchyard, Golspie
Our code GO-B

Updated 19th April 2015

Photographed and transcribed
by Christine Stokes & Sheila Mackay
During 2002-2003 with repeat visits in 2005 & 2006. Since then much help has been received from Shirley Sutherland, Golspie, to whom I am most grateful.

Please note that with all our inscriptions all Mc and Mac names are shown as Mac.

A large number of the old stones in St Andrew’s are now becoming virtually impossible to read. The original inventory of this burial ground was carried out in 1972 by Margaret Wilson Grant, Golspie. In Golspie many people chose only to put only their initials on their gravestone – these are very old stones and believed to have been mostly erected prior to 1800. The earliest stones here date back to the 1600s. Many of these stones carry heraldic shields with the initials of the dead. A great number of the memorial stones are flat on the ground. At the time of the main A9 being widened at this point a large number of stones were moved from their original positions to the rear of the church.

There has been a church on the site of the present St Andrew's since the early Middle Ages. The existing Church building was begun in the 1730's, after the medieval building had fallen into serious disrepair. The present Church was completed in 1739, but a combination of structural problems and the need for more seating led to an extension being added in 1751. This Church has served the parish throughout the ensuing 250 years. St. Andrew's is probably the finest little post-Reformation country church in Scotland, with richly carved eighteenth century pulpit canopy and laird's loft.

St Andrew’s is a very large cemetery. The oldest part, in front of the church, has stones back as far as 1600, many of which are now completely illegible. Around the rear of the church the stones begin to spread up the hill until eventually you are in the newest section which is where the people of Golspie bury their dead today. Here we have listed the transcriptions from the old section of St Andrew’s Churchyard. You may like to take a look at the last couple of pages in this album to see the way very old stones were marked.

This burial ground is currently being updated and many date errors etc. are being fixed. If it is a while since you visited worth checking.

Print all photos for $31.65 | Slideshow | Invite
GO-B
1
GO-B
Order print
122 views
 
GO-B001
2
GO-B001
Order print
205 views
 
GO-B002
3
GO-B002
Order print
209 views
 
GO-B002a
4
GO-B002a
Order print
223 views
 
GO-B003
5
GO-B003
Order print
210 views
 
GO-B004
6
GO-B004
Order print
197 views
 
GO-B005
7
GO-B005
Order print
173 views
 
GO-B005b
8
GO-B005b
Order print
175 views
 
GO-B006
9
GO-B006
Order print
212 views
 
GO-B007
10
GO-B007
Order print
198 views
 
GO-B008
11
GO-B008
Order print
159 views
 
GO-B009
12
GO-B009
Order print
149 views
 
GO-B010
13
GO-B010
Order print
154 views
 
GO-B011
14
GO-B011
Order print
172 views
 
GO-B012
15
GO-B012
Order print
157 views
 
GO-B013
16
GO-B013
Order print
159 views
 
GO-B014
17
GO-B014
Order print
151 views
 
GO-B015
18
GO-B015
Order print
158 views
 
GO-B016
19
GO-B016
Order print
142 views
 
GO-B017 to 022
20
GO-B017 to 022
Order print
172 views
 
GO-B023
21
GO-B023
Order print
169 views
 
GO-B023A
22
GO-B023A
Order print
137 views
 
GO-B024
23
GO-B024
Order print
138 views