the Bit Pazar (= the flea market) was first established in 1928 by Asia Minor refugees in a central Thessaloniki arcade very close to the Old Town Hall. The arcade was originally constructed by D. Filizis and Max Roubens but there were quite a few additions in later stages that changed the original building considerably. The Bit Pazar covers the area of an entire square block (Venizelou - Olimbou - Tositsa str) and has one main entrance and five additional ones. Only a small number of the original shops are still open while most of the others are either deserted or house restaurants, bars and tavernas. Some antiques shops can also be found in the adjacent Garpola and Venizelou streets.